Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Best so far?

So I don't have any pix but lemme tell you all about the best CFS I've had in the Portland area.

The wife and I hit up breakfast out on Saturdays and Saturdays only (typically, unless we're on vacation or something silly like that). We also like to run errands on Saturdays, unlike the 90k other drivers on the roads that day of the week. We thus try to grab this meal at someplace near the locus of our activities, if at all possible.

In need of snagging my prescriptions from the closest Target pharmacy one day we ended up at the fun-named Pig'N Pancake. Basically at the corner of NE 122nd & Glisan it seems to have been the only thing at this intersection for any length of time - apart from Jody's across the street. I'd been by the place a hundred times but never made it in until this day. It's about what you'd expect - an East Portland, Gresh-land eatery, filled with kitchy pig references that would be disturbing to most folks while mowing down some bacon or ham but not, of course, for this intrepid gourmand.

The fare is pretty standard but sufficient and after quickly scanning the menu I chose the CFS. Sipping truck-stop coffee I wasn't too impatient - really! When it arrived it seemed rather on the small portion side of things. But it did have the right ratio of covering gravy so I dug in and was not ready for what hit me. The seasoning in that breading, the precise thickness of that piece of meat, the consistency of the lightly-peppered gravy - the combination was damn near perfection. I'm not kidding. This little CFS from this old skool diner has an amazingly good example of southern-style CFS on display.

It might have been a little overdone for some folks but, in my book, that only added to its flavorfulness. And I don't know if maybe it was an off-day, that they're not normally this well done. But, dang, was that little CFS just darn tasty. Highly recommended!

No comments: