Thursday, March 27, 2008

CFS Style Guide

I'm lifting this liberally from the magnificent article from Houston Press writer Robb Walsh's outstanding article.

Basically, there are three styles of CFS in existence. Walsh's article gives the following definitions while also seeking those restaurants in tejas that served the best examples of each. That's dedication that I can definitely appreciate, even if it is from a texan.

Southern style
Features a "the crunchy crust. It should look just like the coating on a piece of Southern fried chicken."
My clear favorite style of CFS.

German style
"These are dipped in bread crumbs or cracker meal so the breading lies flat on the meat, giving it a texture like a German schnitzel."
My least favorite style, too.

Cowboy style
Grease and flour over a hot skillet in what Walsh quotes as "cowboys on trail drives would fry pieces of meat from a slaughtered steer in grease-filled skillets over an open fire."
Pure pan-fried steak, this is typically what I'd have growing up (or close to it). Not bad but definitely my 2nd choice.

No comments: