Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Gravy, Portland, OR

So for our 5-year anniversary the wife and I took an extra day off to make a long weekend. But instead of heading outta town on that lazy Friday we decided to get some things done around the house and whatnot. My wife also had the fabulous idea to go to breakfast at a place that's normally really tough to get into on a weekend morn. Capitalizing on that idea we went to Gravy on N. Mississippi.

It wasn't too horribly crowded but it was full for a Friday around 10am. I'm always surprised and curious to see that, asking myself questions like, "Why are they here now?" and "Are they all off of work?" and the ever-popular, "Don't you people have homes?" Knowing what I wanted as soon as I got there I didn't have to look over the menu too much; altho' it is a darned fine menu of good-lookin' entrees. Jennifer opted for the monte cristo and their version is quite different than what one would expect. You can sort of see it in the background of the pic below - it's served open faced, on french toast and with the ham and turkey separately layered on each piece. The cheese and eggs are then further layered upon the entirety and it's served with a side of outstanding hash browns and a side cup of syrup (rather than jelly). It was very good, apparently, but very much not what was expected.

Neither was my CFS as it was an entire, huge, 2" thick steak that was then breaded, German-style. I'm surprised they didn't ask me how I took my steak, so large it was. It made for some slow eatin' and, while certainly not bad at all, was just very out of the ordinary and took me by surprise which, for me in the morning, ain't always such a good thing. Anyway, here's that pic:

CFS from Gravy, in PDX

1 comment:

Fever said...

I don't like surprises when I order a country fried steak. (will that start an argument)? That CFS is bull. Good- that will save me from ordering it there. For the record- Chili's has the best CFS that I have had outside of the Southern US.